02 February 2011

Twenty-Five Below and Other Less Than Desirable Things


This morning I woke up early (as I have every morning since arriving in Colorado) and I called the ski resort we were planning on going to confirm that it was in fact open, their hours, yada yada yada. As I lay there in the dark room, eyes still closed, listening to the recording, I hear: “Good morning from Monarch Mountain…..something about the slopes being 100% open, all natural powder….with a temperature of twenty five below! I nearly turned into an ice cube at the sound of those words being uttered through my phone. Twenty-five below! This wasn’t the after wind-chill factor number—this was the real deal—the was the actual temperature before accounting for any wind or other winter weather conditions.
  

Now I suppose it was just meant to be a cold day, because not long after my startling discovery of the temperature at Monarch Mountain (-12 degrees colder than what it was in the springs) Dad came into the bedroom to inform me that there was no hot water and that he had just took the coldest shower of his life. He said the water was so cold it hurt (what is it with this painful cold we’ve been subjected to?!) We had both skipped showers the day before so skipping today wasn’t an option for either of us—which is why Dad torturously finished his ice cold shower before coming to warn me.  I wasn’t about to go through the same torture so I opted to boil water and take a sink bath—so I put some water on the stove and then took it to the bathroom—but decided to try the hot water in the shower before taking a not so desired sink bath and to my surprise it was warm! Took a super quick shower and made it out before it turned cold not having to use my very warm awaiting pots of water! J

Oh but the morning’s story doesn’t end there. Just before we were getting to walk out the door I was mentally running through the list to make sure we had everything we needed and asked Dad “You have both the key and the access card, right?” “No” he says. “Well you should, you had them last, last night when you ran out to the truck” I respond.  So he searches his pockets and finds the keys but no access card. So we look around a few places…still no access card. So we begin to frantically look everyyywhere! Under the couch, in every pocket possible, under the stove, etc. etc. We absolutely could not find it. So I had to end up going down to the office and explain to them how my friends have so kindly allowed me to temporarily stay at their apartment and how I’ve managed to lose their access card. She gave me a loaner for now but if I don’t find the original within a week-it’ll be $50. Not what I wanted to hear, but what can you do?

So after that dilemma was temporarily solved so that we could at least get back into the building later that night we headed on down to the truck. I was putting the information into the gps as we discussed whether or not it would be worth the 2.5 hour drive for only 2 hrs of skiing after this set-back. We first decided that it wouldn’t be, so we tried to come up with plan B—the best we could come up with was Garden of the Gods—but as we headed in that direction I could sense the disappointment from Dad. So I said, you know what…turn around…let’s just go! That way if you don’t get to make it back out to Colorado during ski season you can at least say you’ve skied here, whether it was for just a couple hours or not. So we went!! I was happy to see the smile that spread across Dad’s face as we drove closer and closer to the mountains he would be skiing on! It really was too cold to be out for very long so the two hours was enough I suppose. At least enough to satisfy him for now and enough to keep that smile on his face for the remainder of the day/night!  Dad enjoyed the skiing, I enjoyed the views, he was happy, I was happy---I’d say it turned out to be a pretty good day and well worth the trip!!




 

No comments: