22 January 2011

The "Glitch"

So as mentioned in my previous post--there was a glitch in the perfect plans of my birthday. I wouldn't write of it except that I loved how it went from bad, to worse, to magically wonderful! So to pick up from where I left off...we were going to go see Disney on Ice for my birthday--playing at Nationwide Arena in Columbus Ohio That plan for the day was to leave at 2pm, at the latest, so that we could make it to Columbus in time to eat yummy El Vaqs one last time before my move and then still have plenty of time to get to the show, without being rushed.  I am not going point blame anywhere because there's not need for it but for the purpose of the complete story I must mention that we didn't end up leaving until just a bit after three--putting us in Columbus just in time for rush hour traffic--not to mention that the roads were completely snow covered making it worse than normal. And by worse than normal I'll just say it took us 45 minutes or more to go the distance that would normally take 5 (traffic not being a factor). So without knowing that it would take so long I told Emily, who was meeting us for dinner, that we would be there around 5. Well after 45 minutes of almost stand-still traffic and a wrong turn later...we had to end up canceling dinner plans (or we would have never made it to the show). And my poor Emily had been waiting at the restaurant in a huge booth by herself with a pitcher of margarita she bought us anticipating our arrival---my heart broke at that thought and so I cried! Yes, for the tally, on my 25th birthday I wanted to go to Disney on Ice and I cried...regress much? Haha! In a little self defense--I'll just say I am super duper emotional right now, okay!?! (Emily, I am sooo sorry things didn't go as planned and that you had to wait there for so long without us ever making it there--I have a plan in store to help make up for it)! Of course, wonderful Emily only had nice, sympathetic words to say about it all but still I shall make great things happen in her future...scheming now! :)

But anyhow...here we were, it was sometime between 6:15 and 6:30...show starting at 7:00, mind you...my dad doing his best to get back on track after a wrong turn or two and to maneuver through the traffic on the snow covered roads and to then try to find parking amongst the mess of it all...we've been in the van for almost 3hrs or more now for a trip that should have taken 1.5hrs...Jessa is getting fussy. I am still sniffling in the back because of my broken heart due to the situation with EmO. We are all starving because we hadn't ate much in anticipation of dinner before the show. And once we do park (much further than we would have had to) we had to make the trek in the freezing cold on the slippery sidewalks and I'll admit--at that point I did not even want to be there!! I was at the front of the group trying to get to warmth asap! I entered the building...vented to my sister for like 30 seconds and then said "okay, I'm done!" Told myself that I would turn my frown upside down...and so I did!! I looked for any opportunity there was to cheer myself up--and here's what I found: Reason number one to cheer up--mom and dad bought me a light up butterfly as we all entered the arena (well me and Jessa...haha) and if you know me you know that I loved it!! I was sure to say thank you but you could still hear disappointment in my voice so continued to look for a way to snap out of it and put that darn smile on my face. So I looked up, and there right in front of me on display was a 2011 Lexus SUV---I cracked a joke about how that must be the surprise Matthew had sent me for my birthday. A smile spread across my face, for I know if my husband had the funds he'd surely do something that sweet--except that I'd probably already had known to expect it there because that poor guy can't keep a surprise for me a secret to save his life (which we decided might be because he used every bit of secret keeping he had for our engagment because I hadn't the slightest clue on that one--and that's when it mattered babe--you did awesome on that--props to you)!! So there was a smile on my face, my family laughed, I laughed, and we were on our way to a good ol' time.

We made a pit stop at the concession stand for food since we were all hungry where I please my tummy with a yummy hot dog and nachos with jalapenos...mmmm! Another gold star on my chart of happiness for the night! Then Heather says to me "Have you seen in there? It looks magical!" And from that moment on I was sold! I was happy! I mean really what more do you need to turn a frown upside down than to enter a magical world of Disney with so many pretty lights?!? Well I sorta wanted purple and blue cotton candy to add to it but it was $10 so I put on my big girl pants and decided that it just wasn't worth that--so I enjoyed the show without the spun sugary sweetness. All was well in the world as I sat there with my family, princesses spinning in their sparkly outfits out on the colorfully lit ice, and Jessa beside me enthralled with it all! And of course there were visions of my sugar plum dancing in my head (so I've never called him sugar plum and this isn't "The Night Before Christmas"  but that's what came to my mind so that's what you get on this here blog).
And that my friends, is my story! I could go on and on about the princesses or about how really I am just a big kid at heart, yada, yada, yada, but I'll spare you all and assume that we just all live happily ever after. The End.

No comments: