17 March 2010

Happy Saint Patrick's Day

I've always wondered why everyone, the Irish and non-Irish alike, celebrated St. Patty's Day...but really didn't give it too much thought as it was a great excuse for a day of fun! However, today my curiosity finally led me to look into it. I found a short little video on the History Channel's website which gives a very brief, yet somewhat educating explanation of Saint Patrick's Day. From the video I've learned why the holiday is recognized in the U.S. and have come to the conclusion that non-Irish folks simply join in on the celebration because it's fun...and why not?!? I also read somewhere (but am not sure how credible the source was) that the original color associated with St. Patty's Day wasn't green but blue! Hmm, crazy how things evolve over the years, isnt' it? Anyhow, now that I know this tidbit of information about the day- I'm going to throw on my green attire, grab a green beer, and raise my glass...here's to wishing everyone a happy, fun-filled day!

 

No comments: