04 December 2009

Recap of November 20-27

Friday, November 20th- I finally got the call I had been waiting for, for two weeks. A call from my husband!! I danced around like a little kid on Christmas morning when I saw his name and number pop up on my cell phone, I answered it as I silently gave my friend a hug and ran out her front door and jumped in my car. His voice sounded a little different from that last time I spoke with him (as it always does after extended periods of no communication) but in no time he sounded like himself again and I was the happiest wife there was at that moment in time. My mouth ran a hundred miles a minute as I told him all about my life for the past two weeks- and my oh my how much can happen in a "short" two weeks...which feels like an enternity might I add! Nonetheless we happily talked about this and that- and he also informed me that he might be home about 4 days earlier than expected!! I was estatic while still trying not to get my hopes up too much as the army has a wonderful way of changing things at the last minute. That night I went to bed with a smile on my face...but no sleep for Tara! I was way too excited about headed to Denver early that next morning to pick up two of my sisters and my little niece!!

Saturday, November 21- I woke up early (after not really sleeping) and headed merrily on my way. I left pretty early, just in case...but the weather was nice and the drive went smoothly--however it did seem forever long because I really just wanted to be there! I arrived at the airport, parked, and found out which baggage claim I should wait by...then I waited and waited and waited. You should have seen me...I probably looked ridiculous. There I was sitting in the airport all alone because I was about an hour early and there were no other people waiting on family and friends at that point. There was only the occasional passerby who must have been on their way to their own flight. Anyhow there I sit, one minute I'd look like a nervous mess- my legs shaking in excitement and me biting my fingernails in anticipation (and I never bit my nails!!) The next minute I'd imagine the sheer joy that would come over me when I saw a member of my family (other than Matthew of course) for the first time in two months and how crazy it would be to see a toddler-like niece that only two months ago I left as she lay as a peaceful infant sound asleep in her crib...at that point tears of joy would well up and I would beg myself not to start bawling as I sit there in the airport. Annndd to top it all off I had bought Jessa this cute little toy that would just randomly go off and play the tune of  "ABC, 123" most often when there was a passerby. So here is this crazy lady all alone--so antsy in her pantsy, on the verge of happy tears, with a singing toy...haha! I finally spotted them and walked as fast as my legs would carry me! I hugged both of my sisters and then looked down and found my big, beautiful niece--and the tears started flowing, but that's okay because I was so incredibly happy to see them all and have them be my first visitors!! We found all their belongings and headed out the door...but then soon realized that in my rush to get to my spot to meet them I hadn't paid the slightest bit of attention to where I parked, what door I walked in, or even which general direction I had came from...crazy!! But eventually we found our way and headed home!

Sunday, November 22- This was another big day at the Strohman house...Matthew was supposed to make his early return and I could barely sleep the night before once again in the anticipation. I woke up that morning to the laughs and screams of baby Jessa- which can put an instant smile of your face. I wasn't sure when he'd return so we kind of just hung out around the house. He finally called me for a pick up around 2:30 I think it was. Again I was ecstatic!! The girls hung out at the house while I went to pick Matthew and another guy up because with all the guys' gear it would have been way too tight of a squeeze. That night we went to one store and then just hung out around the house.

Monday, November 23- Happy 19th Birthday to Brooke!! Us girls went shopping during the day and then later we had cake, ice cream and a few small gifts for her birthday celebration (but my silly self forgot to take pictures...grr) I decided to leave the whole day just for Brookie- after stealing some of her thunder last year with my engagement....although that was out of my control :) We just had a laid back day and enjoyed our time together.

Tuesday, November 24- Haircut day!! We all went and got our hair cut at my new found hair salon...which I love! It was a nice little treat and made for a fun girls day (and Jessa was a very good little girl)! Now we once again all look a lot alike with our matching styled hair cuts.

Wednesday, November 25- Heather requested to have a lazy day so we just hung out around the house and prepared for Thanksgiving. I wanted to be able to take them out and about to experience the things of Colorado but it was pretty cold the whole time they were here which limited out options and they all decided they weren't quite ready for the experience of Pikes Peak. Heather was afraid she would get car sick, Brooke was afraid it would maybe be too high for her liking with her fear of heights, and little miss Jessa apparently hates her car seat and her mommy didn't think she could make it for that long of a trip. So we kept a pretty low key status the whole time they were here but I warned them that next time they came to visit we were doing all kinds of things :)

Thursday, November 26- Happy Thanksgiving. We spent most of the morning preparing for our big feast, spent the afternoon relaxing and snacking, and then had our big dinner around 6pm. I thought it all went very well for my first big Thanksgiving out on my own. Hopefully the others agreed! Our group consisted of myself, my husband, Heather, Brooke, Jessa, an army buddy from OSU that is also stationed here, and another guy that Matthew works with. Again I thought it went well and absolutely loved having part of my family here..which I was so thankful for!!But of course I would have loved it even more if I would have been able to spend it with the whole family!

Friday, November 27- Was a dreadful day for me! We skipped out on black friday shopping and headed to the airport so that the girls could head home (booo)! I made sure they were all good and ready to go and headed back out the door. I somehow made it through the good-bye without a tear but the rest of the day...not so much. I found myself crying randomly the rest of the night. So my husband, being the wonderful man he is...took me out for dinner and a little Christmas shopping to help keep my mind occupied and happy.

Having them here was absolutely fantastic but I was so sad to see them go and it really made me realize just how much I missed being close to the rest of my family. It was a bittersweet experience for me. Still so crazy to think that I live in a completely different state and soooo far away from so many wonderful family and friends- which I miss so very much!

Thank you for taking the time to come visit me Heather, Brooke, and Jessa!! I hope you enjoyed your time here as much as I enjoyed having you here!!

No comments: