22 September 2011

Happy Birthday, Matthew!

So his birthday isn't until next month but because I've been running around like a chicken with my head cut off I failed at keeping his birthday gift a surprise.

I sat the bag down on the couch after running a couple errands; with a few hours yet before he was due home from work. I was just going to clean up the kitchen real quick so I could start dinner and have it ready when he got home then I'd find a nice place to hide it. I must have ended up distracted somehow (oh yeah probably with the gazillion gifts my sister had sent for baby---thank you, Aunt Heather) and the next thing I knew he was walking in the door. But I didn't think a thing of it until he asked "What'd ya get at REI?" "Don't look in the bag," I yelled! "Why?!" he asked. "Well," I said, "because someone has a birthday next month." "Are you kidding me?!" he asked. He then began to tell me how I knew he couldn't do surprises and how I couldn't expect him to wait until next month to find out what it was.

So I gave him the choice to have it now and get nothing on his birthday or to wait and be surprised then.  He chose to open his gift early instead of waiting for his birthday and seemed to love it!! It was nice seeing the big smile on his face as he messed with his new watch for over an hour but it was just so disappointing that I let it slip because I am usually the master of surprise around here--but it happens I suppose. But regardless of the lack of surprise he'll be getting on his birthday--he's happy now and so I am happy!!


No comments: