I’ve been trying to make sense of all this, just trying to understand.
Right now the best I can do is an analogy about a walk in the sand.
You see Steve was such a free spirited guy- teaching people to never take life too seriously, to just enjoy the ride. The beauty of his soul is much like that of a majestic ocean and its wondrous sand. I’ve had a lot of time to think of it all while listening to nature’s band. The sound of the waves rolling in and the winds blowing in my ear… some of the answers to my questions I had hoped to find them here.
I’ve been trying to make sense of all this, just trying to understand.
Right now the best I can do is an analogy about a walk in the sand.
I went for a walk today and at the beginning- it all seemed so nice and easy. I walked along the beach today where it was so pleasant and breezy. As I walked along- I took it all in and was happy as could be; enjoying life, the warm sun, the gritty sand, and the cooling sea. Time passed by and I continued on. I was loving my walk and having such a great time. I was loving it all and everything about it. My walk was going great- there’s no doubt about it. Yet after a while, and much to my dismay, I began to notice soft spots appearing along the way. And perhaps what was to come would be only a small part in the larger story of my walk in that sand
but it sucked me up so quickly and consumed me so completely…it really just got out of hand.
You see, these soft spots, they were like little pockets that sort of pulled at me…although not so dreadful at first, I had to work a bit not to let them get at me. In the beginning, it didn’t seem to do me any bad so I just kicked it up a notch and trekked right on, like I always had.
When those soft patches were far and few between they didn’t seem to bother me as much, didn’t seem as mean. I’d step out of them just as quickly as I’d stepped in and then back on up to solid ground again. But soon the patches of that soft and pulling sand became more frequent. Each one grew longer and wider…they started to suck me in.
It took more strength and effort to get back up on the safe and solid sand; though when I did make it back up everything seemed good again. I enjoyed my moments spent upon that solid piece… where it felt better for a little while at least. It was up there on that happy ground that I thought perhaps things might turn around. Before I knew it though, I was slipping once again…and that’s when the high tides came rolling in.
I can’t even remember which fall it was now… but it was in one of those moments when I was down, that the high tides rolled in and wash away more sand from what was left of my solid ground. The tides rumbled in demand…leaving behind only those sinking spots of the soft and pulling sand. They seemed to once again growing deeper, and wider, and longer still- this situation made me feel, feel so ill. The best way I can explain it is to say that those spots were taking over the beach as a whole….it was starting to get crazy; it seemed to be spinning out of control.
I wanted to get away from there before it was too late. I put forth more effort, yet continued to sink…I guess all this was just my fate. As you can imagine I began to tire…the walk was no longer fun… I had decided this was it, my walk was over and I was done. The beauty of what surrounded me was no longer on my mind. I was focused on those soft sinking spots that were just so unkind. The enjoyment I had felt from my walk at the start, had faded, it was gone, all this had numbed my heart. I wanted it to be over. I wanted this walk to end. I thought about it- and nope, this sinking path wouldn’t even be fun with the company of a friend.
I looked ahead and found a close spot; it wouldn’t be long now before I could implement my plot. The distance was small and the timetable brief, I smiled ahead knowing I’d soon find relief. My legs were tired, my knees were weak- a resting spot I did seek. My walk was over and I could no longer wait; I glanced at my family and friends once more before I ran up the steps to the condo and opened that white gate!
The above story is a true account of my walk in the sand.
Was all a part of helping me to understand.


No comments:
Post a Comment