January 2009- We started off the year as a newly engaged couple living in our Columbus, Ohio apartement. I started my second quarter (out of four) as a graduate student at The Ohio State University and Matthew continued to work for the Army ROTC (Reserve Officers' Training Corps) program there.
March 2009- Matthew left in early March for BOLC II (Basic Officer Leadership Course) at Ft. Benning Georgia. I finished my second quarter this month and went nowhere for spring break. The first time in 5 years that I didn't go to somewhere nice and warm with sunshine and the ocean...I didn't deal with it very well, haha! I also moved out of our apartment and moved into my parents- the movers came and took most of it to storage (to later be moved to Colorado) I kept out only the essentials to get me through September when we would make our big moved. From March until June I commuted to Columbus from Lynchburg each week...staying three days and two nights at a time and sleeping on my friend Emily's couch (a big, big thanks to her and her roommates for allowing me to do so!!) Having to fit my classes and practicum (otherwise known as working for free) into 3 days made for long days, but I survived it...somehow!! Andddd Grandma Strohman turned 100 this month!! Matthew and I were so sad not to be able to make it to her birthday bash but sent our best wishes!!
April 2009- I started my third quarter of grad school this month. And to make up for not getting to go on a spring break trip, I took a weekend trip to Chattanooga, Tennessee to visit Matthew (it wasn't quite the midway point between Ft. Benning, Georgia and Columbus, Ohio but I was more than willing to drive more than my share if it meant getting to see him). It was so crazy to see him after not seeing him for so long- (although a month no longer seems like an eternity these days)! This first separation was one of the hardest so far! Matthew graduated from BOLC II later that month and was able to come home for a few days before reporting to BOLC III at Ft. Knox, Kentucky.
May 2009- I became an aunt and Matthew became an uncle when we welcomed beautiful baby Jessa into this world on May 15th! I was able to be there to see her delivered and won the bet on when she'd arrive. I guessed 11:21 and she came at 11:31! I loved her from that first moment I saw here...melts my heart just thinking about it! Uncle Matt got to meet her a couple weeks later on one of his few weekends off during his training.
June 2009- I graduated from The Ohio State University with my Masters of Social Work!!! A wonderful, wonderful day in my life! This meant no more classes, no more working for free, and no more commutes to Columbus!! Ahh! I then got to go on an educational trip to Costa Rica with my sister Brooke and my mom!! That was incredibly fun and sparked my interest in learning spanish, which I hope to begin working on soon. Then after we returned I began commuting between Lynchburg and Ft Knox (which were miserable, buy the way!!) but once again I did what it took to be with Matthew. From June through September I lived part time with my parents and part time with Matthew in our horribly gross and very small hotel room (that they call apartments). But we made it work and I learned to cook quite the meal with a microwave, an electric skillet, and a hot plate. We also made some of our first army friends there and one of the families ended up here at Ft. Carson with us...which was so nice, because I moved here knowing at least one friend!!
August 2009- Matthew graduated from BOLC III and was ready to begin his "real" army career! He came back to Ohio and we spent time with family and friends, prepared for our wedding and for our big move! We also became aunt and uncle to another little niece this month.
September 2009- Our wedding day- September 5, 2009- the day we became Mr. and Mrs. Strohman! Ahhh!! :) It was such a wonderful day and we appreciate everyone that helped to make it as special as it was- those who were there and those that sent their best wishes! Not to forget that those same eyes that have seen a 100 years worth of moments, was there to witness our special moment! This was also the month that we got to meet our second beautiful little niece Sienna for the first time! Thennnnn on Sunday, September 13 (technically the 14th I guess) we left Ohio and made our way to Colorado- driving straight through and arriving in the middle of the night on Monday, September 14 (which would then technically be the 15th). We "moved in" to our temporary hotel where we'd be staying until we found a house. We stored our belongings that we brought with us (the things we'd kept out when the movers packed us up and all our new wedding gifts) in a storage unit until we found our place to live). On September 18, we received the news that they were able to get us in on-post housing and signed the lease. September 19 was our first night in our new house and we had to sleep on the floor because our new bedroom set would arrive until the next day. On Monday, September 21, Matthew left for a week to go out to the field for a training exercise and we also had our first snow that day!! In fact, in rained, hailed, and snowed all in the same day!! I went to my first FRG meeting on the September 22 and Matthew arrived back home on Saturday, September 26 after walking a long 25 miles!! I think we both really got our "welcome to the army" this month!
October 2009- On October 5 our household goods finally arrived!! Up until this point we had no furniture other than the new bedroom set we'd purchased and thankfully we got quite a bit of kitchen gifts for our wedding to hold us over until our other stuff arrived- things like a microwave, can opener, kitchen towels, etc, etc. I was also excited to get the rest of my clothes back- for one I was started to get tired of the same tub of clothes and for two I didn't have many of my warmer clothes with me..which apparently you need year round in Colorado for those crazy random snows! Matthew turn 24 this month and we visited Pikes Peak for the first time- our first real exploration experience since we'd moved out to Colorado. I got my hair chopped off, a whooping 8 or so inches! And then Matthew left for a month! Boo! :(
November 2009- I learned to be quite independent and although I'd much rather have my husband with me at all times to depend on, I was pretty proud of all I accomplished...all by myself. I made some great friends this month as the separation from our husbands called for extra and extended girls days, girls nights, even sleepovers! This month I got a babysitting job and had my first visitors out here at my new house! They arrived on November 21! Matthew finally returned home on November 22! We also had our first Thanksgiving at our home (away from home) and I was so thankful to have Heather, Brooke, Jessa, and a couple of Matthew's buddies to share it with! My sisters' and niece's visit all too soon and they headed back home on November 26...after they left it hit me hard, making me realize how much I missed all my family and friends back in Ohio...I realized how much a really, really missed "home"!!! Thankfully I had the trip home for the holidays to look forward to!!
December 2009- Matthew was promoted to 1LT on December 4!! We went on a brewery tour at Bristol Brewing Company on December 5. On December 8 we got a lot of snow and post closed early- we also had delays quite a few time a few of the days before and after. On December 11 we went to our first hail and farewell. We were hailed (welcomed) to the unit and then went out with some friends afterwards to make up for the lack excitement/enjoyment of the that event. December 16 I flew into Ohio and enjoyed my ever-so delicious bean dip at El Vaqs that I cant get out here in Colorado (tears)!! Matthew flew in on December 19. We spent time between our two home towns and then headed back to Colorado early on December 27. I was ready to get back to my poor cats but otherwise wasn't really ready to leave...at all!! Blah! (I'm ready to go back already and the earliest I can go will be late March...more tears...and then even more tears knowing what late March means....ahhh!) Moving on...we then just enjoyed time relaxing and then spent new years eve celebrating with friends at the Cartier's house!
WHEW...what a busy and eventful year it was- for me, for Matthew, and for our families...WHEW!! And I'm sure I forgot to mention many other big things, as I almost forgot to mention Costa Rica!! Anyhow, we'd like to wish everyone a happy and healthy 2010- may your days be filled with as much joy and love as ours are!!
7 comments:
I read it.... I check almost daily I just dont comment... I'm giving myself the best overseas blog reader award- sound fair?
Kat x
Yes, it sounds more than fair! I am happy to "give" you that award :)
Looking forward to seeing you later this year if you can get the plans to work out! Hugs from America!! xx
You had a very busy year! I do read your blog faithly. Enjoyed the holidays but sorry I couldn't spend more time with everyone. Hope 2010 is good to you and Matt. Love Aunt Jackie
Thanks, Aunt Jackie! I am glad to know that you get to read it :) I think 2010 might be a little challenging for us but I hope good nonetheless! Looking forward to seeing you next time I'm home! Love you!
Yes I agree, 2009 was an eventful and changing year!!!! If I wrote a blog, it would be longer than yours. lol Love you Mom.
And I was able to print your exciting year for Grandma!
Paula,
Thanks for sharing with grandma! I'm sure she really enjoyed it! And thank you for keeping up with our blog and staying in touch! We love it!
Post a Comment