What is it I am doing today? Other than the normal everyday things...I am adding to the mix a new step in making this house and the products we use a little more natural. I already make some of my own cleaning products and will continue to improve those and eliminate more and more of the store bought chemicals as time goes on.
And now we're giving homemade, all natural (the the best of my knowledge), body wash and body lotion a try! I am more so wanting a more natural product for big sister and baby sister but of course wanted to give it a try myself before trying it on Ella and then eventually baby sister when she arrives. But if I like it, I will stick to it myself, and if I think it's good for the little ones but still am not a fan of it for myself then I'll keep looking and eventually join them in natural products...at least that's the plan.
I found the recipe for the body wash here (except that I did more like 1/3 water, 1/3 castile soap, and 1/4 coconut oil) and the body lotion here. I just took a shower and used the body wash for both my body and my hair (adding no conditioner afterwards). While in the shower I felt pretty oily and was quite skeptical, especially about my hair. But after getting out and drying off...and as I air dried some too...the oiliness has seemed to disappear. On my skin at least, my hair is still air drying and I'll update on that later. I have not used any lotion as I want to see what it does to my skin on its own...but will be sure to try my new lotion in a couple of days, or maybe even on part of my skin to try it out and compare it with the "no lotion skin" results. But must wait for that concoction to cool and solidify a bit before I can give it a try.
Although in a way it would make more sense to start going natural with the things we use most (like say, food) I have found that for me it is easiest and less overwhelming to start small with the things that seem easiest to change...like the cleaning products and then move to things that are used a little more often like bath and body products...then eventually I hope to get to more of the food (the hardest, in my opinion). But that's not to say that I don't already try little by little to make more healthy and more natural food choices for us. I have been trying for quite some time to steer clear from as many boxed and canned products as I can without going insane...less processed foods but knowing when I need that easy meal with the added canned cream of chicken soup (like the meal we're having tonight).
**UPDATE** Have already noticed a rookie mistake that is likely affecting my products (i.e. my lotion is not solidifying) I did not use VIRGIN coconut oil and based on my quick search a few minutes ago after checking my lotion...it does make a difference. Not to mention if you are going with natural and not processed...virgin is your better bet. Hmm, learn something new everyday. Will have to try new batches with virgin coconut oil!

No comments:
Post a Comment