One night as we were getting ready for bed, I yelled to Matthew..."Hey babe, you know how they say, 'you are what you eat?'...well, I promise if our baby comes out looking a little Mexican...I didn't cheat!!" ------
Well this baby, (baby #2 is on the way for anyone who might have missed the memo) he/she has been sure to enlighten me on the subject of pregnancy food cravings. This stuff is real, folks! It's some serious business! And you shouldn't question it! You should just do it!
Like in the first weeks when I could barely eat anything except for queso dip and/or bean dip from our local Mexican restaurant...that I sometimes had to have immediately! Which resulted in our family eating there for lunch or dinner many times for a few weeks. Additionally, we always brought extra home with us and sometimes my husband still had to run out for more. And once I stopped in there after a trip to walmart and ordered 3 servings of it...one was gone before I got home, which is only a 10-15 minute drive. I enhaled it, sharing only a few dipped chips with me sweet girl, because my body neeeeded it!! Oh yeah, and sometimes my awesome neighbor would bring me some home!! One night in particular, she left it on my doorstep around 10pm and after the quiet knock I snuck out in my robe, grabbed it, made it only to Matthew's recliner and inhaled half of it like I hadn't eaten in weeks. This queso dip was serious business in those early weeks. It was like my lifeline! And although my cravings for it are no longer that intense, it is still the one thing I can always count on being able to eat when nothing else seems to sound good or when everything else is making me sick. We don't have to go there on a regular basis anymore or have it stocked in our fridge but I definitely can't turn it down...and Matthew has yet to even slightly try to deny me of it when it's mentioned (because he's really just that awesome whether I'm pregnant or not)!
My other weakness has been tacos made here at home. In those first few days (actually we found out so early this time I think I had a couple weeks) after finding out but before the morning sickness hit...I craved tacos! I think I made them 2-3 nights in a row once or maybe just 2-3 times in one week. I remember sitting down on the couch as I stuffed my face apologizing for making them so often (yet I was only half sorry...if I'm being honest, because me and that newly growing baby were in food heaven). That stopped once the morning sickness hit; partly because of the smell and partly because my body seems to forget (with both pregnancies) how to digest meat in the first trimester so I sport a vegetarian diet/lifestyle for about 10 weeks-ish. But....hello second trimester and hello once again to tacos!! They're on the menu for tonight...but last night baby decided he/she just couldn't wait and I was up at 11pm making myself one! Thankfully I had pre-made the meat and stuck it in the freezer...or I might have had a sleepless night while i laid here just thinking about tacos and contemplating whether or not it was completely insane to brown the hamburger at 11pm...being able to skip that step made it a sane choice to have tacos at 11pm, okay?! And I'll tell you now...when I get up and get going for the day here in an hour or two, I am having a taco for breakfast. Then we will have tacos for dinner tonight. Unless I fill up on the veggie delight sub from subway that I have also been thinking about since last night, then they will have tacos for dinner and I will probably have one for a late night snack again. Hmm...I might want to make some more taco meat and throw it in the freezer just in case.
Also there was this one time, that I tried to come up with a reasonable plan to get us to Colorado so I could have the loaded nachos from 3 Margaritas. I personally would have drove the 7ish hours there, no questions asked, to get them (and to see some friends and the mountains and because I'm in love with that place) but I couldn't come up with anything that I thought would convince my husband to a. make the drive with me/us or b. let Ella and I travel there ourselves. So, I convinced my pregnant state of mind it was unreasonable. Not to say I still don't dream of those nachos regularly and that I still don't think it'd be totally worth it!! After all, it's only 7-8 hours in the car with a pregnant lady and a two-year old...who's in?! I'm sort of really serious (all except for the fact that it's winter and I don't drive in snow) otherwise I think the next time Matthew went to the field I'd find myself in Colorado! I. WANT. THOSE. NACHOS.
No comments:
Post a Comment