18 December 2013

By the time you wake up...

Last night, my husband was being silly and jokingly said to me, "By the time you wake up I will have already peed in a cup (as urinalyses are just a regular part of his job) and walked seven miles...no big deal." So I came back with, "yeah that's okay because by the time you wake up, I will have had two snacks, peed three times, and [been up with Ella multiple times]." Guess I also should have added one blog post to the list as well! :)

I loved this little conversation for many reasons:
- It shows that although we both have one main goal in mind (providing for our little, yet growing family) that we play very different roles. And each contribute in our own, very important way.
- It is a nice reminder that although the other's role might sometimes seem more glamorous that there are some not so glamourous parts, too. Because let's face it, I'm sure, as Ella and I are cuddled up in bed with hours left to sleep and Matthew is heading out in the freezing cold weather to do PT, he has envied the fact that I get to lay there with our sweet daughter and not have to get up and go to work. And don't let the fact that I truly do have the most wonderful job I could ever ask for (being a stay-at-home mom and raising a precious little human and growing another) that I don't sometimes wish I could be putting my hard-earned degree to use and feel more like I am contributing financially to the family (because I've struggled with that in the past) and that I sometimes don't envy the fact that although it may be "just co-workers" he gets to converse with other adults throughout the day and can swing into a store, alone, without lugging a child inside, when he's on his way home if needed. But in the end, that's just fine and dandy...and I'm completely okay with it. Because I love, love, love what I do and wouldn't have it any other way! And for him...he says he likes the way we have decided to do things, too! Because after all it was a discussion we had and a decision we made, long before we started having kid(s)! 
- It shows we both appreciate humor and adding little laughs to each other's lives. And to me, that's important. Because if you can't laugh and have fun with the day to day...well then that wouldn't be any fun at all! We like to laugh often and love much ;)
- It's a reminder that things won't always be perfect (okay, will never be actually perfect in an absolute philosophical sense) and that that's still okay. Because it's life...and that's just how life goes. But it's all what you make of it and your perspective on it...right? And although I did quite enjoy Ella sleeping soundly through the night I'm not going to let this little set back of her having trouble sleeping and needing momma in the middle of the night get me all out of sorts (other than what I can't control because the little lack of sleep does have some effects). I'm just going to enjoy this time in her life when she's little, and vulnerable, and needy, and comforted by some simple whispers, and snuggles, and a little momma magic! ;) This too shall pass (maybe all too quickly). 
- It's a reminder of how blessed we really are (especially with all that friends have been facing lately) that if our biggest struggle right now with Ella is her troubles with sleeping then we have so much to be thankful for. And we are! We have always tried to never take for granted how lucky and blessed we have been with our sweet girl!! And I thank God for that every day/night!
-And a little added bonus of what this conversation might show...most of the reasons I'm up so often throughout the night (thus sleeping in much later than I used to...although even if I got up a couple/few hours earlier he'd still be done with his morning activities) is all due to this little miracle growing inside of me! Our sweet baby #2!! <3

So yeah, by the time I wake up, he will have peed in a cup and walked seven miles (because they have a foot march this morning) but that's okay...because by the time he wakes up, I will have had published one blog post, had two snacks, peed three times, and comforted Ella in her troubled sleep too many times to count...oh yeah, and am continuously working on growing a baby. No big deal! 

I love him, I love what we do, I love our life!! **and just so you know... I can always, always find a much deeper and/or hidden meaning to any measly little conversation, it's what I do!** :P

No comments: