12 July 2010

The Incline

So for most of the morning I have had that crazy Miley Cyrus song "The Climb" stuck in my head. Why? Because that's just what I did this morning...I climbed. Woke up at 5:30am and headed out on an adventure to tackle "The Incline" with a couple of my great friends. The incline is one mile up. 2800 railroad ties. 2000 feet of vertical. Then there's a four mile hike back down the Barr trail. Which  pretty much sums it up- short and to the point. The same website that I got that info from also offers a bit more insight. Probably better than I could put into words so I'll just let you do the research :)


Like I said us girls were up and on our way at about 5:30am this morning meeting in the parking lot a little after 6:00am. We began our adventure at about 6:28am and I don't think anything could have prepared me for how exhausting the trek up would be- other than having done it before. I was slow moving and needed lots of "breathers" but I took it a few steps at a time and eventually made my way to the top around 8:04am and boy did that feel grrrrreeeeaaattt! And to admire the beauty from up there and to look down at all those stairs you just mastered is something in itself! (I can't wait to do it again with my wonderful husband- perhaps have a picnic brunch at the top before heading back down :) ahh so romantic so long as you pay no attention to how sweaty and smelly each other might be) This morning we only spent a few moments taking in the fact that'd we'd made it to the top- then we began our hike back down. We choose not to return down the steps of the incline and did the 3-4 miles down the Barr Trail which is the route used to hike up Pikes Peak (which I also cannot wait to do!!) The hike down, which was rather enjoyable, took us about an hour and a half as we reached our cars at just about 9:30am. Whew, we did it!! And although it might have been slightly miserable and most definitely exhausting on the way up...once you reach the top you forget about all that and are just so incredibly happy! It is soo worth it and like I said I just can't wait to do it again!! But a little note to self: next time bring own water and tissues. (And I know- you'd think the water part would be a given but us girls decided to share a water bottle as to not lug much up with us but we had to end up splitting up leaving two of us with no water....and oh my were we thirsty!! No biggie, just a lesson learned for next time).






On our way back to Fort Carson we stopped at McDonalds and I would have to say I had the most delicious sausage biscuit I have ever tasted- it was like heaven in my mouth! Even the grease from it all was uber delish (which is something that normally grosses me out)! I guess I just didn't realize how hungry I was after my 3 hour morning workout. But you know- not only was the food the best I'd ever tasted but suddenly everything around me seemed better than before. I was in such a happy mood and felt so accomplished! I've been referring to it as my climber's high--just like a runner's high. There was something going on with my mind and body because once we got back to post we made a quick stop at the px and as we were walking out I said to Iris "Is it weird that I want to take off for a run right now?" to which she replied "no because I was kind of thinking the same thing." We didn't though- bc that would just be craziness.



I'm pretty happy right now and I'd have to say that today is going to be a good day :)

No comments: